LIFE LESSONS I'VE LEARNED FROM MY OLDER SISTER
On this day, August 20th, 34 years ago, my mom was giving birth to my older sister, Brianne, au naturale with no epidural (BLESS HER HEART.) Three years later, I was born and a lifelong sisterhood was formed.
Throughout the years, I always felt so lucky to have an older sister to look up to, guide & protect me. When I was a freshman in high school and she was a senior, she showed me the ropes and eased my nerves. After one of my first breakups, she without hesitation hopped on the next plane and came to help me move. After a major car accident in 2014, she changed her schedule to be with me during my recovery. Whenever I need Bree, she is always there and I am forever grateful for her.
As her birthday approached, it got me thinking of all of the wonderful, funny & important life lessons I have learned from my older sis. In honor of Brianne, I present to you some of my most favorite life lessons I have learned along the way.
1. Don't take yourself too seriously. Life is too short to worry about what others think. As long as I can remember, my sister has had such a strong spirit that led her through life without worrying about other's opinions. She is confident in who she is and does what her heart believes is right, always. Be sassy, have fun and don't be afraid to laugh at yourself.
2. You can spend less on clothes if you have a sister. Boyyyy, Bree used to get so mad when I'd sneak into her closet when she left to school in the morning. When she was in high school, she had to be there before the bell rang at 7:45a whereas I didn't have to be to middle school until 9a. The only downfall to my brilliant plan? She was home by 2:45p and I got out at 4p. Let's just say Bree was not thrilled when I'd arrive home in her brand new shirt. Lol, sorry sis!
3. Blood is thicker than just about everything. Having a sister taught me early on the importance of a family bond. Through countless laughs, tears, life's ups and downs, I've always known that my sister would be there for me. They say that friends come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime - and I am deeply grateful knowing that I have a sister who will be there for a lifetime.
4. Be independent. My sister has always been an incredibly responsible & independent individual. It has been an invaluable lesson to watch & learn during my formative years. Throughout life, I have watched her make decisions confidently because she was secure in who she was and what she wanted. ::Cue 'Independent Women' by Destiny's Child::
5. Teamwork makes the dream work. During our adolescence, Bree and I played on countless teams together. From cheerleading to soccer we were always part of a team. Watching her showed me that no matter what you want to achieve in life if you are part of a team and work together, anything is possible. This is definitely one of my favorite life lessons and one I still utilize often as I navigate through adulthood.
Sister, thank you for showing me what it means to love unconditionally. Your protective instincts are priceless and I am so grateful to have a big sister and best friend in you. I love you forever. Happy Birthday!